Council of Ministers Regulation to Provide for the Establishment of the Ethiopian Diaspora Agency
This Regulation is issued by the Council of Ministers pursuant to Article 5 of the Definition of Powers and Duties of the Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No.916/2015(as amended) and Article 56 (1) of the Foreign Relation Service Proclamation No. 790/2013.
- Short Title
This regulation may be cited as the “Ethiopian Diaspora Agency Establishment Council of Ministers Regulation No. 432/2018”.
In this Regulation, unless the context otherwise requires:
- “Ministry” or “Minister” means the Ministry or Minister of Foreign Affairs of the
Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, respectively;
- “Proclamation” means the Foreign Relation Service Proclamation No. 790/2013;
- Ethiopian Diaspora” means an Ethiopian National or a foreign national of
Ethiopian origin that permanently resides abroad;
- “Council” means an entity established to undertake Diaspora and related activities
pursuant to this Regulation;
- “Mission” means Ethiopia’s diplomatic mission, permanent mission, consular
office or trade office abroad;
- “Regional State” means any State referred to in Article 47(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and includes the administrations of Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa ;
- The definitions provided under article (2) of the Proclamation shall also apply to this regulation;
- Any expression in the masculine gender includes the feminine.
- The Ethiopian Diaspora Affairs Agency (hereinafter referred to as “Agency”) is hereby established as an Autonomous Federal Government organ having its own legal personality.
- The Agency shall be accountable to the Ministry.
- Head Office
The Agency shall have its head office in Addis Ababa and may have other branches elsewhere in Ethiopia as may be necessary.
The objectives of the Agency include:
- Implementing the Ethiopian Diaspora Policy; and 2. Protecting the rights and interests of Ethiopians Diaspora in collaboration with
- Powers and Duties of the Agency
The Agency shall have powers and duties to;
- facilitate Diaspora affairs;
- establish a system of registration and documentation of Ethiopian Diaspora;
- support the existing and future Ethiopian Diaspora media outlets abroad.
- establish a system to facilitate knowledge and technology transfer opportunities to be
accrued from the Ethiopian Diaspora;
- establish and administer financial and other contribution collection systems;
- support events organized by the Ethiopian Diaspora at home and abroad;
- support and facilitate institutional capacity of Ethiopian Diaspora societies and
organizations on their effort to acquire legal personality and support
locally organized Diaspora organizations to be fully functional ;
- Coordinate and facilitates conditions for the Ethiopian Diaspora to engage in
voluntary activities in Ethiopia;
- provide the necessary support to entities working in Diaspora engagement at the
Federal and Regional level;
- encourage and support Ethiopian Diaspora to actively get involved in investment and knowledge
transfer , and follow up on its implementation;
- prepare studies and policy recommendations on Diaspora and other
- create working mechanism with relevant domestic and foreign institutions;
- Undertake other activities necessary for the accomplishment of its objectives.
- Organization of the Agency
The Agency shall have:
- Advisory Council;
- A Director General and Deputy Director Generals to be appointed by the
- The necessary staff.
- Members of the Advisory Council
- The members of the Council, including the chairperson, shall be appointed by the
Government, and their number shall be determined as necessary.
- The Director General of the Agency shall act as member and the secretary of the
Advisory council .
- Powers and Duties of the Advisory Council
The Advisory Council shall have powers and duties to:
- Provide strategic direction to implement the objectives of the Agency ;
- Evaluate the Agency’s wok plans and implementations;
- Hold consultations and provide recommendations on matters presented by
the Director General.
- Meetings of the Advisory Council
- The regular meetings of the Council shall be held every three months; provided,
however, that an urgent meeting may be held whenever necessary.
- There shall be quorum where more than half of the members of the Advisory
Council are present at a meeting.
- The decisions of the Advisory Council shall be by consensus. In the absence of
consensus; decisions shall be made by majority vote and in case of a tie, the
Chairperson shall have a casting vote;
- Without prejudice to the provisions of this Article, the council may adopt its own rules of procedure.
- Powers and Duties of the Director General
- The Director General shall be the chief executive officer of the Agency and shall
direct and administer the activities of the Agency.
- Without prejudice to sub-article (1) of this Article, the Director General shall:
- a) implement the powers and duties of the Agency specified under Article (6) of this
- b) employ and administer Foreign Relation Service Officers in accordance with the Proclamation 790/2013 and the Foreign Relation Service Officers Administration Regulation no 399/2017 and support staff in accordance with federal civil service laws;
- c) prepare and submit to the Ministry the work program and budget of the agency, and implement same up on approval by the Government;
- d) represent the Agency on its dealings with third parties;
- e) prepare and submit the work performance report to the Ministry;
- f) prepare and submit financial reports of the Agency to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Cooperation ;
- The Director General may delegate part of his powers and duties to other officers and staff of
the Agency to the extent necessary for the efficient performance of the activities
of the Agency.
The Agency’s budget shall be allocated by the Government.
- Books of Accounts
- The Agency shall keep complete and accurate books of account.
- The books of account and financial documents of the Agency shall be audited
annually by the Auditor General or by an auditor assigned by him.
- Power to Issue Directives
The Ministry may issue directives necessary for the implementation of this regulation.
- Effective Date
This Regulation shall enter into force on the date of publication in the Federal Negarit Gazette.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 29thday of October 2018.
ABIY AHMED (D/R)
PRIME MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA