COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATION NO. 446/2019
COUNCIL OF MINISTERS REGULATION TO PROVIDE FOR THE POWERS, DUTIES AND ORGANIZATION OF SPORT COMISSION AND ESTABLISHMENT OF THE NATIONAL SPORT COUNCIL.
WHEREAS, the Sport Commission has been established as per Article 32(4) of the Definition of Powers and Duties of the Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 1097/2018;
WHEREAS, it is necessary to issue Regulation which define powers and duties of the Commission;
WHEREAS, it is necessary to establish the National Sports Council which ensure overall organization and management of sport is community based;
NOW, THEREFORE, this Regulation is issued by the Council of Ministers pursuant to Article 34 of the Definition of Powers and Duties of the Executive Organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Proclamation No. 1097/2018.
- Short Title
This Regulation may be cited as the “Definition of Powers, Duties and Organization of the Sports Commission and the National Sports Council Establishment Council of Ministers Regulation No. 446/2019”.
In this Regulation unless the context otherwise requires:
1/ “Ministry” Or “Minister” .means the Ministry or Minister of Culture and Tourism, respectively;
2/ “Commission” or “Commissioner” means the Commission or the Commissioner of sport, respectively;
3/ “Council” means a national Council which established to direct the sport pursuant to Article 9 of this Regulation;
4/ “Region” means any region referred to in Article 47/1/ of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia Constitution;
5/ “City Administration” means Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa City Administrations;
6/ “Sport Association” means any National sport association certified by the Commission;
7/ Any expression in the masculine gender includes the feminine.
- Head Office
The Commission shall have its head office in Addis Ababa and may have branch offices elsewhere, as may be necessary.
1/ The objectives of the Commission shall be to register great achievements of international standard by taping the overall sports activity within the community and in particular by creating awareness and participation of the youth and make the sport community base;
/ by promoting sport in the community foster it role for peace, social integrity and unity and developing healthy generations;
3/ foster a spirit of goodwill and equality among all people without any discrimination.
- Powers and Duties of the Commission
Without prejudice to Article 32/4/ of the Proclamation No, 1097/2018, the Commission shall have powers and duties to:
1/ Implement the country’s sport policy and Strategy;
2/ Authorize sports associations to engage in income generating activities which are consistent with their objectives with a view to meet their financial requirements;
3/ Provide support for domestic production of sports wear and equipment and facilitate it’s importation in collaboration with the concerned organs;
4/ Provide necessary support in organizing and conducting National and International sport games;
5/ Devise mechanisms for the establishment of national sports development fund by law, and implement same upon approval;
6/ Collect, compile, and disseminate the sport data of the country;
7/ Device mechanisms for administration of sport facilities;
8/ Own property, enter into contracts, sue and be sued in its own name;
9/ Perform such other functions to achieve its objectives.
- Organization of the Commission
The Commission shall have:
1/ National Sports Council;
2/ Commissioner and, deputy Commissioner appointed by the government; and
3/ The necessary staff.
- Powers and Duties of the Commissioner
1/ The Commissioner shall be the chief executive officer of the Commission and shall direct and administer the activities of the Commission.
2/ Without prejudice to sub-article (1) of this Article, the Commissioner shall:
- Exercise the powers and duties of the Commission specified under Article 5 of this Regulation;
- Employ and administer employees of the Commission in accordance with the federal civil service laws;
- Prepare the annual plan and budget of the Commission and implement same upon approval;
- Effect expenditure in accordance with the approved budget and plan of the Commission;
- Represent the Commission in all its dealings with third parties;
- Submit audit reports and reports on the activities of the Commission to the Ministry.
3/ The Commissioner may delegate part of his power and duties to other officials and employees of the Commission to the extent necessary for the efficient performance of the activities of the Commission.
- Power and Duties of Deputy Commissioner
The Deputy Commissioner shall have the following powers and duties:
1/ Assists the Commissioner in organizing, directing and coordinating the activities of the Commission;
2/ perform duties specifically assigned to him by the Commissioner;
3/ Act on behalf of the Commissioner on his absence.
The National Sports Council (hereinafter “the Council”) is hereby established.
- Members of the Council
1/ The Council shall have the following members:
- Chairperson to be appointed
by prime minister;
- The Minister, deputy-Chairperson;
- The State Minister of Sport sector of the Ministry –…………………. Member;
- The representative of the Ministry of Peace, …………….. Member;
- The representative of the Ministry of Education,–………………. Member;
- The representative of the Ministry of Health,—–……………… Member;
- The representative of the Ministry of Women, Children and Youth,–Member;
- The representative of the Ministry of National Defense, Member;
- The representative of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education,..Member;
- The representative of the Ministry of Urban Development and Construction, –.Member;
- The representative of the Ministry of Revenues, Member;
- The representative of the Federal Police Commission, Member;
- Chairpersons or Vice Chairpersons of Regions Sports Councils…… Members;
- The representative of the City Administrative, Mayors Members;
- Regions and City Administrative Sport Commissioners Members;
- National Sports Associations, Presidents..Members;
- Ethiopian Trade Unions Confederations, President Members;
- Executive Organs Accountable to the Commission, Director generals,…..Members;
- The Commissioner Secretary.
Without the prejudice to sub article 1 of this Article, the Council may invite known individuals and sport professionals who have a vital role as a membership or participant of the Council, as may be necessary.
11. Powers and Duties of the Council
The Council shall have the powers and duties to:
1/ Deliberate on and forward proposals for the promotion of sports;
2/ Evaluate the annual sports plan and forward proposals
3/ Deliberate on and forward recommendations on policy issues to be submitted to the government relating to sports;
4/ Give direction for Commission on strategic issues;
5/ Ensure overall organization and management of sport is community based;
6/ Approve directives to be issued by the Commission pursuant to Article 32/4/ of paragraph E of the Proclamation.
12. Meeting of the Council
1/ The Council shall hold regular meetings twice every year, provided, however, it may hold an extraordinary meeting whenever necessary up on the call of the Chairperson.
2/ There shall be quorum where more than half of members of the Council are present at any meeting;
3/ Decision of the Council shall be passed by majority votes; in case of a tie, the Chairperson shall have a casting vote.
4/ Without the prejudice to the provisions of this Article, the Council may adopt its own procedure.
The budget of the Commission shall be:- a/ allocated by the government and b/ from other income sources.
- Books of Account
1/ The Commission shall keep complete and accurate books of accounts.
2/ The books of accounts and financial documents of the Commission shall be audited annually by the Federal Auditor General or by Auditors assigned by him.
- Effective Date
This Regulation shall enter into force on this 15th day of December, 2018, approved by the Council of Ministers.
Done at Addis Ababa, this 21st day of January, 2019.
ABIY AHMED (Dr.)
PRIME MINISTER OF THE FEDERAL DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ETHIOPIA