Assosa University (ASU) is one of the third generations public universities in Ethiopia which was established in May2011 by the Council of Ministers decree number 215/2011.
The objective of ASU is to produce highly qualified and dedicated man power, to conduct research and to provide community service. It is also engaging in various developmental activities to achieve the country’s growth and transformation plan.
The University is located in Assosa municipality area which is the capital of Benishangul Gumuz Regional State. The town is an important for communication, trade and growth center situated at a distance of 660 kilometers away from Addis Ababa, 210kilometers south of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam/GERD/ and 96 km East of the Ethio-Sudanese border.
The University officially began its duty on June 2011 in a temporary campus at Assosa Agricultural TVET College. The academic wing started with 100 Teachers, 5 faculties including 17 undergraduate fields of studies since then. After two years of staying in the temporary campus, it was shifted to its own new building campus.
The University started teaching-learning with 1043 students in regular program alone in December, 2011 and graduated 445 students in July, 2014 for the first time. Consecutively, 585 and 1249 students were graduated in July, 2015 and June, 2016 respectively in the second and third graduation ceremony of the University.
The University’s enrollment capacity bases on the “70/30” national policy (70% of the total students in Science and Technology, and 30% in Social Science).
Currently, ASU has 7821 students in undergraduate regular program which were admitted under 36 departments. Beside this, 1883 students enrolled to20 departments in weekend, evening, off season and summer programs in 2016. The University has also started Master (post graduate program) in summer and weekend with 180 students under three departments, 209 in post graduate diploma training (PGDT) and 42 female school principals. Hence, the grand total number of students in the University (in under graduate, post graduate, PGDT and school principals program) is 10,443 students.
Regarding to academic staff, among 456 teachers, 205 of them are first Degree holders, 243 are MA/MSc Degree holders and 7 of them are PhD holders without including those who were on the study leave. Moreover, there are 1380 administrative staffs and 11 contractual workers existing on job recently in ASU.
Bule Hora University (BHU) was established to play its part in the national efforts of bringing quality and excellence in teaching-learning, research, community services, administrative functions/good governance, connecting the development of cultural and natural resources with technology and its applications. The foundation stone was laid by H.E Dr. Adehanom Haile (Deputy Minister, Higher Education Affair), the then representative of State Minister, Ministry of Education and H.E Mr. Abadula Gamada, the then President of Oromia Regional State, on 28 November 2008 G.C. The university was officially established by proclamation No213/2011 (2003E.C.) as one of the Ethiopian government higher education institutions (HEIs).
Bule Hora University is located 470 km south of Addis Ababa in Bule Hora town, West Guji Zone, Oromia Regional State. The zone is divided into two agro-ecological zones namely, semi-arid lowlands to the south and the more humid lands at higher altitudes to the north (Tache and Irwine, 2003). /The mean annual rainfall across the zone varies between 500mm and 700 mm with an overall average of 648 mm. The area’s mean temperatures range from 25°C to 29°C during hotter season and 14°C to 18°C during colder season of the year (Luseno, et al., 1998).
Since the construction of BHU delayed beyond expected completion time, the university started functioning in the campus of Bule Hora College of Teachers Education with a total of 243 regular and 116 weekend degree students in 4 faculties in 2011/12(2004E.C) academic year; and transferred to its own campus in September 2012(2005E.C).
Currently, Bule Hora University comprises Seven Colleges and One School, namely College of Engineering and Technology, College of Informatics, College of Natural and Computational Sciences, College of Health Sciences, College of Agricultural Sciences, College of Business and Economics, College of Social Sciences and Humanities and School of Law.
Established in 2007
Debre Tabor University was established in 2008 by Regulation No. 229 Debre Tabor University Establishment Regulation.
On July, 20/2011(23/11/2003 Eth.c), The Board of the University was organized and started to give direction based on Proclamation No 650/2001.
Then, the assigned presidents started to employ teachers and admin workers as per the responsibilities and obligations of the Ministry of Civil Service. This helped the university to employ 114 M 10 F Total 124 teachers, and 51 M 20 F Total 71 administration workers. This number gradually grew to 383 teachers and 420 admin workers in 2015(2007Eth.c)
In line with students, their population also geometrically increased from 628 in 2011(2004) to 9,224 in 2015 (2007 Eth.C).
Established in 1993
Founded in 1954
Established in 2007